Home vs Professional Laser Hair Removal
What if we said that you could achieve laser hair removal results with an affordable at-home device? Wouldn’t that be a dream? Yes. It would be a dream. Very literally, because it’s just not possible.
At-home “laser” hair removal devices have come a long way in the last few years, and they do work to reduce hair growth! But if you’re comparing at-home laser hair removal vs professional treatments, you need to know the differences and what to expect.
In this post, we’ll cover the pros and cons of each option, to help you decide what’s best for you.
At-Home Hair Removal Pros and Cons
Before we dive in and explain the benefits of at-home laser hair removal devices, it’s really important to mention: Most of these devices aren’t using laser technology at all!
Home devices actually use intense pulsed light (IPL) technology which is not as powerful or targeted as laser. There are some exceptions that use laser, but at least for now, they’re rare, very expensive, and still weaker than the laser hair removal devices used by professionals.
With that out of the way, these are the pros and cons!
- You won’t have to leave the house to do your hair removal treatment.
- At-home IPL hair removal devices are a one-time cost, usually between $100 and $400.
- You can shave in between treatments.
- Devices are usually easy to use.
- There are many different technologies and features to choose from based on your needs and budget.
- Depending on the device you choose and your skin type, you may see some results within 6 treatments (although you won’t necessarily achieve complete smoothness).
- Depending on the device, you may need to do treatments more than with professional laser.
- Your safety is in your hands, and there is a risk of burning the skin if you’re not careful, neglect proper aftercare, or if you use the wrong setting.
- It takes a while (at least a few months) to see results.
- Most devices will only work on Fitzpatrick skin types 1 to 4 (i.e, pale to tan), and may burn those with darker skin.
- Devices cleared for at-home use are not as powerful as professional ones, so results tend to require more sessions and there’s a higher risk of regrowth. You may need frequent touch-ups to maintain your smoothness.
- Some areas are very difficult to reach by yourself.
Professional Laser Hair Removal Pros and Cons
Professional laser hair removal is a totally different treatment. Wielded by a certified nurse or laser technician, the laser technology is fast and targeted. These are its main pros and cons in comparison with at-home options.
- Very powerful, targeted, and effective hair removal.
- Appointments are fast! At SEV, we can treat your entire body in just a little over an hour, while small areas like underarms or the bikini line only take 5 minutes.
- It’s incredibly safe – treatments are carried out by professionals who follow stringent safety protocols.
- Modern technologies work on all skin types and tones.
- Someone else does all the work – you get to sit back and relax!
- Most patients see some results within just a session or two, and near complete hair reduction within a few months.
- You can shave in between appointments.
- Laser hair removal is more expensive since you need to pay for multiple treatments.
- Booking and coming in for appointments can be a hassle (although it can also be a very pampering experience!)
- There is still some risk of hair regrowth (especially due to hormonal fluctuations), so you may need the occasional yearly touch-up.
Which To Choose?
Ultimately, we think that deciding between at-home and professional laser hair removal comes down to two main factors: Budget and results.
At-home hair removal can be more affordable since it’s just a one-time cost. Professional laser hair removal will cost you more, but it eliminates more hair with a smaller chance of regrowth. Results vary from person to person, but professional laser hair removal is almost always more impressive.
At SEV, we believe that no matter who you are, you shouldn’t have to suffer unwanted hair. That’s why we keep our laser hair removal prices as affordable as possible.
Depending on the body part you’d like treated, the cost of professional laser hair removal at SEV might not be much higher than buying an at-home IPL or laser device! If you’d like to give real, effective, and long-lasting laser hair removal a try, book your appointment.